Landon

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Eiffel Tower is not a myth.

See?
It's official. I've seen it. Any of you homebodies out there that have never been to Europe (like myself, last week) might feel like it's some distant romantic entity that exists only in movies. I'd like to bear my testimony that I know this city is for real, and it is amazing.


We landed in Paris yesterday around 10 am; unfortunately my body clock was convinced it was more like 1 am. That was rough. We ended up taking a 5 hour nap around noon. Jet lag is also not a myth. Fortunately the nap gave us the energy requisite to hit the city. I really like it here. The architecture is spot on.

We dropped by the Eiffel Tower and did a scenic boat tour on the Seine, during which it finally hit home that I am in Paris, and that I love it here. 

Today we went to the palace of Versailles. Hot hot heat. The French do not believe in air conditioning, and they gyp you on ice. But that place was very large, and quite aesthetically pleasing. Here, have a look:

They don't take pictures with civilians.

Edward Scissorhands, trimming some topiaries.

Mom went to art school. She's been waiting her whole life to see this fountain.

French architecture at its finest.


Observations to date:

  • These Parisians must have missed the memo from the attorney general (they should really take the advice of U.S. officials). Smoking is not a good thing. 
  • Doug noted that "the 60's De Gaulle era is long gone." Apparently the French were at the hight of rudeness then, but they've snapped out of it or something. They have been an absolute pleasure. Our concierge and the guy that sold us fresh squeezed orange juice were downright accomodating. And I'm so glad they all speak english since I didn't bother to learn French :)
  • The youth of Paris are not all together very different from our own. They too enjoy mooning tourists on boats. 
  • The homeless men are very well equipped, and they all own puppies. There was a whole colony of homeless men with foam pads, sleeping bags, luggage and puppies camped out together on our street. They were just nestled peacefully in some alcoves. 
  • Forget NY. Paris is the city that never sleeps. It gets dark quite late here. (10:30 pm last night) And nobody seems to notice when it does. Everything just keeps going. Neat. 
Epiphanies to date:

  • I can do whatever I want. Not a good mantra; my mother says it makes me sound spoiled. But the foundation to a nice realization nonetheless; If I want to, I can live in Europe. I can just get a job here when I graduate. I'm an adult. I'm not a part of your system.
Here's some more pictures for your enjoyment. 


We take pictures together. 

We ride in trendy elevators.

It's true.

9 comments:

  1. i really enjoy how much your manner of speaking comes through on this. when you said you can do whatever you want, i was like "i'm an adult, i'm not apart of your system," only to see that you had said that.
    please go visit the creepy gargoyles at notre dame, they too exist. ten bucks if you kiss one (and get it on camera).
    OOH OOH!! please tell jokes to the guards at buckingham palace when you get there!!! and you must tell me what jokes you tell them. ooh, i'm gunna start brainstorming ones that can really make em laugh. that's been a dream of mine ever since the mary-kate and ashley movie winning london!
    anyways, let me impart some french with you. just say "voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir." it mean can i get fries with that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha I thought about hyperlinking the vid, but I didn't... Notre Dame is on the agenda for tomorrow, so I'll do that. Haha ok, feed me some jokes. Hahaha good advice I'll definitely try that one.

      Delete
    2. jen, don't actually say "voulez-vous couchez avec moi, ce soir." you would get scandalized.

      Delete
  2. Our time zones are much closer now. So.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Europe! You'll have to show me England and France and I'll show you Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool pics Jen! You're making us jealous!! And you're a better blogger than us too...and you're hip. Except you said "jet leg" when it should be "jet lag." But we'll let that slide...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks! And good catch, I fixed it! How come you guys haven't blogged since January???

      Delete
    2. We recently updated! Check it out!

      Delete