Landon

Monday, July 9, 2012

God Bless America


Yum.
For the first time in approximately a decade I did not spend July 4 on Tahoe. I sorely missed catch phrase, cookies, Bruce Springsteen, and Tahoe City fireworks on the water, but I still managed to have a pretty great day. Irony of ironies, I spent Independence Day on the soil of the nation from whom we seized our independence. Naturally, we went to McDonald's to celebrate.

Prior to Micky D's, we climbed the tower of Great St. Mary's Church, which you may recall is the church right outside my window. It boasts some of the most spectacular views of Cambridge, which I gobbled right up.

They say the academic rigor gets to a person...


.... just kidding. Those are for the bells.





Trifecta: Kelsey, Jenessa, Me. I can't get enough of these people.


After several hours of aimless gaiety (and a boring meeting), we decided to go for a night jog, which developed into more of short nature walk. It was one of the best evening nature walks I've ever had the pleasure to experience. The beauty of this city is staggering. In particular, the King's College backs epitomizes the inspiring serenity that you come to associate with a place like this. The sun setting on the river Cam could not have been more picturesque. Ironically, I didn't get a picture because I unfortunately don't run with my camera; rookie mistake. But I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that it was a perfect moment, made more perfect by the boy from Harvard playing the guitar. I think that evening was when it all hit me- that I get to study at the best university in the world for two months, with some of the best people I've ever met. It's perfect.

On a side note, I need to tell you about Evensong, because for some reason I forgot to mention it on the day I actually attended it. Evensong is about an hour long service which includes prayers, psalms, and hymns, sung by the King's College boy's choir. I actually went twice, and the second time it was a special joint service with the St. John's college boy's choir as well. It is a truly spectacular production. The chapel and choir at King's College is world renowned, and for good reason. I've always felt strongly that the binding commonality between various religions is much stronger than the doctrinal differences that divide them. (3 points) Evensong served as a powerful reminder of this point. The service was a beautiful declaration of faith and devotion to our Heavenly Father and our Savior Jesus Christ, and I loved it.

Here's some contraband documentation:





Here's some legal documentation:
Choir boys.

The great hall.
That hole in the ceiling is where the owls come through to bring us our mail.

Ghosts of Christmas past.

Me, Aileen, Jenessa, Jordan


3 comments:

  1. My roommate here, Priscilla Hobbs, is roommates with Kelsey Baer. So, get. it. girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, you are shining brighter than the noon-day sun! So happy you are so happy! I am delighted every time I read your blog! It is so entertaining, and so you. Love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha thanks ma! Love you and miss you too!!

    ReplyDelete