Landon

Monday, July 9, 2012

We had a choice, we chose rejoice.

There's a little catch phrase that's been floating around our circles: "this is the yes trip."
The premise: when in doubt, just say yes (this has a few limitations for BYU students).
The modified premise: if a wholesome opportunity presents itself, embrace it.

I tend to say no 66% of the time. Ward functions? No thanks, I'd rather study. You're gonna go hit the non-alcholic bar? Sorry, it's past my bed time. Game night? Nah girl I'm in for the night. Shout out to K Bear. So this little "yes trip" mantra has been just the ticket.

Night run? yes. Hike to the top of the mountain? yes. Dessert? Duh. Devotional? yes. That was harder than it should have been.


I am living life with no regrets. You should try it sometime. It's incredibly freeing.

Disclaimer: I reserve the right to say no.


Ok, I'm willing to bet you want to hear about my trip to Edinburgh (Ed-in-bur-uh), Scotland (Scot-land), so here's the skinny:

Thursday, July 5


Departure: 8:30 in the AM
Commence 2 hour segments on bus, broken up by various rest stops and castles, proceed to travel for a total of approx. 10 hours.

More about that castle: We stopped in a quaint little town called Richmond, which is fortunate enough to house a nice little castle. Obvs we explored it.
Annie, Molly (bus buddies for life), me


From the tower.

This tower. 
Several hours later we got settled in the University of Edinburgh dorms. Dr. Kerry, our BYU program director, successfully secured an entire floor in an entirely separate building exclusively for the LDS girls. It was the best thing ever. So fun being on the same floor with errybody. After a 5 star comped meal from the caf a few of us ventured out in to the city, where we stumbled upon this little gem:



Lichrally, the BEST park I have ever been to. It was so unconventional.

Then we saw Edinburgh at night. Takin' out the trash... at niiight. It was so mist....erious... see what I just did there? Then I came across this place:


Not even a big fan, but still kind of cool.
Friday, July 6

We went for a little hike in the highlands, during which I put my lungs through the ringer and then soaked up some seriously aesthetically pleasing views of the town (Killin) and the lake.

But wait, you need to know about Satan's sandwich. We stopped in town before we reached the trail head to get some lunch. So we went in to this little place that sold sandwiches. If you're reading this blog, you probably know me... so you probably know how picky I am. I exercise a blanket moratorium on cheese and almost all things creamy. So when the lady at the store told me that the ham sandwich was just ham and margarine, I promptly asked her sub the margarine for some mustard. Jenessa tried to warn me about the European mustard, bless her heart, but it was too late. So we got on the bus, and I decided I would take a bite of the sandwich...... I almost had a heart attack. It was quite possibly the vilest thing I have ever put in my mouth. Apparently it was laced with horse radish and dark magic. It almost killed me. 

So naturally we passed it around for everyone to try. 

That's her apprehensive face.
On the bright side, I didn't have to bother with carrying the sandwich up the mountain.
Also on the bright side, we had some really perfect weather. Behold these views:



Go Jenessa.



Power animals. I dare you to try to portray a gazelle in a photograph. 
That night we had a traditional Scottish Ceilidh (kay-lee), which is essentially line Scottish line dancing. Depending on the dance, you might be dancing with a group of 2,4,6, or 8. I appreciate it. I mean I'm a really horrendous dancer, but having a set of prescribed moves definitely makes things easier. 

Saturday, July 7

Rain.
Elephant house, where JK penned some of her best work. 
Rain.
Edinburgh castle.
Rain. 
Tom Riddle's grave.
Rain.
Taxi home due to rain.
Great day.
Pics:










It's kind of like I'm wearing that scarf.


Sunday, July 8

Departure: 9:00 in the AM
New lunch stop: Fountain's Abbey

This place was the MOST serene, beautiful, perfect, ruinous abbey I have ever had the pleasure to encounter. There were so many families there for a Sunday afternoon outing. It was perfect. Mark my words, I will take my family there for a Sunday outing some day. 











And now I'm back in Cambridge, and it feels pretty good. 

Over and out.


5 comments:

  1. observations: you say no a satanic amount of times since you did say 66%.
    i appreciate you tried cheese.
    the picture of you and the lion looks like you just got a raindrop in your eye (due to the hand motions) :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not try cheese. Are you out of your vulcan mind? You're right about the other two though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh i was mistaken. i just took the whole substituted mustard thing as an accidental cheese incident.

      Delete
  3. Jen, we are all anxiously awaiting your next post!

    ReplyDelete