Landon

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Keeping up with the Joneses.

Warning: I've contracted misleading title disease. I'm not trying to keep up with an elusive ideal of perfection, I'm just trying to keep up with this blog. Sorry for my shortcomings. Fortunately, Facebook is bridging the gap between social networking and social archiving, so I was able to reconstruct a tentative timeline of my last week (timeline... facebook... see what I just did there?), based on my online interactions.

Monday & Tuesday, July 9 & 10


I can only assume (and hope) I was studying on these days, trying to get back in the swing of things after Edinburgh. Apparently sub-standard memory isn't a deterrent to the Cambridge admission team.

Wednesday, July 11


The trifecta celebrates its one-week anniversary.
**Note: Do not try Wispa Gold McFlurry, it's not worth it.
Some things just taste weird in England.
****More important note: On the whole, I've been getting on with English fare just famously. You may or may not think of me as a relatively (relative to what?) picky eater. I steer clear of all things cheesy, creamy, or of otherwise unappetizing consistencies. In America, this haunts me. In England, I've never been happier. The English don't seem to care a great deal about sauces/ condiments/ things I don't like. So I'm in a pretty consistent state of contentment.

Plenary lecture by Dr. Jonathan Steinberg on "Why Cambridge is Unique."
You're probably asking yourself that very question right now. So here's a few answers:
-College system (31 in total - I'm in King's)
-Tradition of mathematics (this is more unique in contrast to Oxford)
-No University governing body

Jordan turns 21.
Obviously we went to the pub. Obviously we sang "For he's a jolly good fellow."


Black Currant Lemonade. You should try it sometime.
Harry Potter Studio Tour booked.
August 9. We are going.

A lot of things are better at night. Running is one of them. The run was initially going to be a short little guy. It also didn't initially include any guys... Fortunately, Kelsey and I ran in to Carson and Josh before we took off, so the four of us ended up running for about an hour. It was nice. There's a 98% chance we're going again tonight. 

Thursday, July 12

I spent the majority of the day working on my mid term paper for Spooks and Spies. 1500 words on whether signals intelligence shortened World War II. Considering it's not graded, it's just a practice run for our real term paper, I fear I spent far too much time on it. It was interesting though. 
On a side note, if you'd like an indication of what a typical spooks and spies lecture is like, check out Averill's blog. I laughed out loud. 

That night I skyped my mom for like 2.5 hours. That's the best. Among other things, we talked about what I would do if I didn't get in to the Information Systems program. 

Later that night I found out I got in to the Information Systems program. So that was fortuitous. I'm actually really excited about that. So excited to experience life. 

Friday, July 13

Once again, the better part of my morning and afternoon were spent working on that paper. 
Fortunately, I finished. Then we went to dinner at a little gem called Wagamama. Talk about tasty teriyaki (3 points). After we ate, we decided to walk around. 

And then...


Who here is excited that I got that video to start right where I wanted it? 

We got caught in the ran. Sans umbrella. It was the MOST fun. I mean, we were 0.7 miles away from our respective rooms, so the only thing to do was embrace it. And embrace it we did. There's this little hill, "Castle Hill," which is the highest natural point in Cambridge. For obvious reasons, this landmark proved irresistible to us that night. 


During.

After.

Finally, we come to the prank. Shelley, an old roommate, has this tradition of pranking me every Friday the 13th. Usually she does this:


But this time she did this:



I apologize to any of you who were adversely affected by Shelley's antics. That said, hats off to Shelley for ingenuity. 

The trifecta finished off the night in grand fashion with a quasi sleepover. Holla for going to bed at 4 AM. And for a dolla

Saturday, July 14

The day after a sleepover is always weird. Always. I just feel like I'm not firing on all cylinders. A few of us went to this terrible place called Fitzbillies where they make terrible soup and terrible salad and give you terrible water. But apparently they have good fruit tarts. They need to sort of their priorities. 
Next we went to the Fitzwilliam museum. They had some nice items. Of particular interest was the impressionism room. Always. 

Mostly we just liked this giant picture frame out front. Unfortunately the camera balanced on a rock and set on timer wasn't sufficient to capture the frame to its full potential, but now that I told you what we were going for, I can only hope you'll be able to see it. 

Corey, Me, Jenessa, Jordan, Kelsey

After the muze-am I got to skype with these perfect people:


On a scale of 1 to good, it was soooo good. 

Then Jenessa and I went on a night run, because night runs are the best. And what a treat to be running around Cambridge.

Alright, remind me not to wait so long to update this guy.

10-4 good buddies. 





4 comments:

  1. ohh mah heart. That Hilary clip was A) SO FITTING and B) the absolute tops.

    I haven't had my Lizzie McGuire fix in who knows how long, so this truly sufficed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. soooo happy for the shout out. soooo happy that you're soooo happy with the non-creaminess of england. that just means you're never coming back, which makes me sad. but then i remember that just means i already have connections for when i come live there, which makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so clever with your video additions! Once again, very entertaining! Looking forward to our Thursday Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelsey, glad I could help out girl.

    Shelley, sooo happy you are sooo happy.

    Ma, thanks, and me too!

    ReplyDelete